28 October 2007

All's NOT quiet on the (feline) Western front

Tess has been hissing very angrily at the boys in the last few days. Now, whenever the three of them sort of come together at a cross roads, they ALL end up hissing and YELLING at each other. This is very distressing. In the three years Cubby has been ALIVE, this is THE first time he's EVER hissed and it's not a pretty picture. And now once one starts, they all end up going at each other. They chase Cubby under the bed in the guest room. I am not even sure what started this. But it began a few days ago. And I think it started with Tess. I end up supervising every encounter "It's ok pussers, it's OK." (repeat repeat repeat.) The Vet thinks Tess may have an injury and that's what precipitated the whole event. She doesn’t “act” injured. And I’ve stroked her face, head, body, and paws.....trying to sooth her. She doesn’t snap at me (as if in pain) so nothing that I can see is wrong. Cubby has always played with her (HIS view, not her's) and this may have been one time too many. He looks very sad. And this makes me sad. And Cubby is now very very jumpy. He has ALWAYS been the stabilizing & mellow force in this feline household. Now they're all on edge. I've been giving them all extra individual attention and lots of treats ad playing.
________________

Sunday, two in the afternoon: Jeremy is being really really mean to Cubby.  Cubby was eating about an hour ago and Jeremy came along and smacked him accros his face WHILE he was eating!  Cubby hissed and growled with a hurt look in his face as if to say, "What did I do to make you mad?  I try to be loving and sweet.  I guess it's just not good enough for you."  Jeremy chased him into the basement and I followed them.  It took 15 minutes to try and talk him out of a corner.  I had treats, toys, talking to him the whole time.....and he had a cowardly stance, like an animal that's been abused.  That was the first time this whole mess this week made me tear up.  Cubby has been THE most happy-go-lucky cat Ive ever (been owned by) or ever seen.  He's "everyones' friend."  I don't like to spend a lot of time in the basement because it smells down there, no matter how clean I keep the boxes.  But I was sitting on the floor by the treadmill, trying to talk him out of the corner.

Tomorrow I take Tess to the vet because I *think* this all started with her, but now I'm not so sure.  It's sort of like "This is the house that Jack built..."

2 comments:

Gus said...

Poor kitties! And their poor human! Will you take the others to the vet, too (separately!), just in case? How vexing.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.